Topband: How Good is Good Enough?

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: How Good is Good Enough?
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:50:16 -0400
I have about 350 feet of quad-shield RG-6 going out to a receiving
antenna hub which has a 20-db ARR preamp on the end of the line,
followed by an 8-way relay switch.  The feedline is lying on the ground,
or more correctly on the stubble of a mowed hayfield.  At the moment, it
has only one BOG on it, but I plan to add other BOGs and a K9AY loop for
some comparative tests.  The feedline has a center tapped common mode
choke about 15 feet from the hub, a la ON4UN and K9YC references - 14
turns of RG-6 on each of 2 #31 toroids.

My question is this.  If I disconnect the one BOG, and listen to the
feedline and preamp, how quiet should it be?  How would I go about
testing its quietness?  If it is not quiet enough in this configuration,
what would my next step be?  Another common mode choke at the shack
entrance?

--
73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com