Re: Topband: How Good is Good Enough?

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: How Good is Good Enough?
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:52:41 -0400
I went with the 2 BOG's stricty because of noise crud from yuppie neighbors
in line with the SE and SW elevated 2 wire reversibles. When they shut off
their toys and go to bed the elevated ones are better.

The SW one stops 50' from their house which is too big for the property
anyway.

If you need a preamp on any Beverage you have a problem IMO. Its too long,
poorly terminated or there is a lot of feedline loss.

Im running 750' of 1/2" CATV hardline to the relay boxes and well decoupled
quad shield RG-6 to the antennas. Most are short runs but one is about 200'
that is lightly stapled to trees in parallel with but 15-20' away from the
antenna which is the 750' E/W and one of the quietest since it points into
deep woods both ways.

The very first step in evaluating a system is to directly terminate the
feedline far end in a 50 or 75 Ohm resistor. I use the standard CATV screw
on F connector 1/4 W type. There should be dead silence from the BCB on up;
I test to 20M.

Getting rid of common mode is easy but expensive. It requires lots of 31 mix
FT-240 toroids, ground rods and attention to connector assembly/sealing.
Transformers should be BN73-202 binocular core only with particular care to
match the real impedances and isolate primary from secondary for minimal
capacitive coupling. Balun core windings and transformers wound on toroids
have poor isolation.
The advertised premade boxes are a pure waste of money if you want the best
results. You need to know your own ground resistance and not just buy
something generic simply because someone who writes a web page says so.

I dont know if Id trust trying to use a resonant dipole on the ground to
determine the VF of a non resonant wire. In any case keep the VF at about .6
or higher when determining the maximum length of the BOG, Slinky, or any
other Beverge form.

Carl
KM1H