Topband: Beverage Antennas & Trees

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Beverage Antennas & Trees
From: Wayne Willenberg <wewill747@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:45:52 -0400
I am preparing to install a reversible Beverage antenna, using 450 Ohm
ladderline.  All of the components are from DX Engineering.  The maximum
length I could fit on my property was 480ft.  This would be the first of my
receive antennas for my first venture into 160 and 80M.

Here is my concern.  To fit an antenna of that length, oriented in a N-E or
S-W direction, it will have to go through a think grove of trees (many are
over 75ft high) and an even thicker underbrush of younger trees and junk
growth.  Despite all of the trees, I think I can keep it pretty much in a
straight line.  How significant will the attenuation be caused by all of
the branches and leaves?

Thanks for your help to a newcomer to your band.

Wayne, KK6BT
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK