Re: Topband: Noise in the Shack - A new noise!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise in the Shack - A new noise!
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 07:39:27 -0400
Don't be too quick to give up on the idea of solid state drives, Greg.
I know several active hams who have had these installed for some time
without any of the problems you experienced.  There's no logical reason
why these drives should be any more or less noisy than any other memory
in your computer.

I would check your power supply, in case the line filtering components
were left out to save money, and if so, get yourself an inexpensive
Corcom line filter.  Try disconnecting keyboard, mouse and monitor
cables one at a time to see if the noise is getting out that way. Try
grounding the case of your computer to the same single point ground as
your transceiver, also making sure that the ground bus of your
motherboard makes good electrical contact to the case.

In five years or less, I suspect you will not be able to find a computer
*without* an SSD.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

On 6/26/2012 6:36 AM, Greg Chartrand wrote:
> Last month I began a computer up-grade process at home and work by using
> solid state drives (SSD) in both laptop and desktop systems. The upgrades
> have been very successful providing a significant performance increase and
> extended battery life.
> The last upgrade was my ham shack desktop system that I rebuilt with a new
> copy of Windows 7. All seemed well until I  turned the rig on and heard
> garbage and multiple birdies across the lower 50 khz on 160.
> I was distracted for a week trying to recover a lost disk but I put the  SSD
> in place again yesterday. This time I wrapped the SSD in aluminium foil and
> put 2 clamp on cores on the SATA cable. I fired up my system, and the extra
> measures had no noticeable improvement on the birdie situation. The
> birdies  appear as soon as I power up the drive.
>   I doubt if I will be able to remove the noise so this is a warning to those
> who may consider the same upgrade to their hamshack computer. My computer
> with the old fashion Hitachi hard drive contributes zero noise to my
> receiving capability on any band so SSD's are not in my future!
> Greg

> Greg Chartrand - W7MY
>
> Richland, WA.
>
> DN-06IF