Re: Topband: Noise in the Shack - A new noise!

To: "Greg Chartrand" <w7my@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise in the Shack - A new noise!
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 08:18:23 -0400
I was distracted for a week trying to recover a lost disk but I put the SSD
in place again yesterday. This time I wrapped the SSD in aluminium foil and
put 2 clamp on cores on the SATA cable. I fired up my system, and the extra
measures had no noticeable improvement on the birdie situation. The
birdies appear as soon as I power up the drive.>>>

A local Ham, who has "not particularly good" wiring in his shack and
close-by antennas, uses SS drives without reporting issues.

Are your drives inside the computer? Have you run checks to see what the
point of egress from the computer, or ingress to the receiving system, are?

I'm not a big fan of throwing beads at noise issues, or wrapping things.
Usually that isn't a good solution. Running a series of tests to locate the
point of leakage is usually faster and better.

Are there any good articles on how to run tests that anyone is aware of?

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK