Re: Topband: Laird ferrites

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Laird ferrites
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 08:07:24 -0700
On 6/29/2012 6:53 AM, Shoppa, Tim wrote:
> Laird mix 28 might be comparable to Fair-Rite 43, and Laird mix LF might be
> good for 160M balun chokes.

MIGHT BE are the operative words.  The pdf link is to a skeleton
catalog, and is like looking at the elephant through a pin hole in the
tent.  One of the major virtues of Fair-Rite as manufacturer is that
they have published extensive data on their products so that you know
exactly what you are buying.

Another is that Fair-Rite has a long history of providing engineering
samples to circuit designers. When I was doing my EMC research nearly
ten years ago, they provided samples of dozens of specific parts that I
requested, at no cost.  As a one man consulting business self-financing
that work, I could not have done that research without it, nor could I
have published anything useful about RFI.

The benefit to Fair-Rite is obvious -- I've learned enough about certain
of their specific parts to be able to recommend them to thousands of
hams and audio professionals, they have completely re-organized their
marketing and their catalog with their relatively new mix #31 as their
primary HF EMC material, and I've helped organized the group purchase of
at least 10,000 pieces so that both I and my friends had the parts we
needed at low cost.

Other than those samples, I've never gotten a thing from Fair-Rite, but
they have been an excellent corporate citizen, and they have been quite
willing to sell directly to hams for group purchases at the same prices
they sell to distributors for the same quantities.. Why would we want to
bite the hand that feeds us to buy virtually unknown parts from a
company we've never heard of?

73, Jim Brown K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK