Topband: Laird ferrites

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Laird ferrites
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 13:53:17 +0000
Most of the ham stuff references Amidon and Fair-Rite ferrite mix numbers

A different company, Laird, sells three main mixes of ferrite
toroids/beads/snap-ons: "LF", "28" and "HF". Graphs in
http://www.lairdtech.com/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=3363

Laird mix 28 might be comparable to Fair-Rite 43, and Laird mix LF might be
good for 160M balun chokes. But maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges.

Laird cores are very well stocked at Digi-Key and prices are excellent in low
quantities. I've been using them in switch-mode power supplies but not in
actual "RF" applications so far.
Thoughts on Laird mix LF? Anyone tried it for choke baluns on 160M?

Tim N3QE
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK