Re: Topband: Ferrite core

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Ferrite core
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 07:03:04 -0700
On 7/1/2012 5:18 AM, La7tha wrote:
> 1. anyone that can point me to what type of core is should use?

I can't advise you on the binocular cores for transformers, but W8JI's
website is an excellent resource for that.  See w8ji.com

There is extensive advice on suppression cores (for killing common mode
noise), as well as lots of measured data on chokes wound using those
cores,  on my website.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

> 2.Do Fair-rite send small quantity to private persons?

No, only in rather large quantities.  But they have an extensive network
of worldwide distributors, listed on their website. Some may be a lot
more user friendly than others.  I've heard from UK hams that Farnell,
the UK distributor, is sinfully expensive and carries a very limited
selection of Fair-Rite parts. I've seen suggestions that things may be
considerably better in EU outside of the UK. Appendix One of the link
above summarizes data and part numbers of useful parts and known good US
distributors.  I don't know which, if any, of them will export to LA7,
or at what cost.

Another reminder that it's worth pooling orders with other local hams
for  commonly used parts like this that are otherwise hard to find and
expensive. Parts are always much less expensive in quantity, and the
costs of shipping 50 or 100 pieces is much less than 100 times the cost
of shipping one.

73, Jim K9YC
.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK