Topband: My grounding scheme

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: My grounding scheme
From: Dan Bookwalter <n8dcj@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 05:30:10 -0700 (PDT)
I do not recall if I posted this last year or not , but , due to circumstances
I was not able to implement this , however , I will be starting on it
shortly....

keep in mind that I am living in a rental house so there is only so much I can
do....

All ground rods are 5/8" copper clad steel , I cut them in half so they are
only 4' , driving 8' into this ground gets very difficult , the tower is a UST
TX-472.

There will be 4 ground rods at the tower base , one off each corner all tied
together,then about a 130' run of #6 solid to another pair of rods at the base
of the house below the window(2nd floor) where the shack is , then run up to a
1/4" thick copper plate in the window where the feed line comes in via a
bulkhead connector. Everything in the shack will be bonded to this copper
plate. At the base of the house I will run a wire through the basement o the
mains ground for the house. All connections to ground rods will be
exothermically welded. I was going to run grounds from at least 2 of the tower
legs (using stainless between the tower and copper ground wire) to the ground
rods at the base of the tower. At the base of the tower is a DX Engineering
radial plate that will be bonded to the ground system , the feed line will be a
grounded at the tower base via another bulkhead connector in the radial plate
before going to the RCS-10 remote switch.

I think that covers everything...

Dan N8DCJ

p.s. I was thinking of running some radials (#14 or larger) off of the ground
rods at the house purely to help dissipate and lighting energy that may get to
that point , thoughts ?
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK