Re: Topband: Beverage strain

To: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage strain
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 12:38:28 -0400
> It's almost enough to drive one back to electric fence wire. It's
> inexpensive and reconnects easily using the wireman splice.
> 73
> Bruce-K1FZ

I've been running tests on splices and trying to find the most simple splice
that is reliable.

http://www.w8ji.com/splicing_antenna_wire.htm

The problem with any traditional splice is exposure of steel cores, either
through heat removing very thin copper or other coatings, scratches or
scrapes, or expose of steel at wire ends. Heating the wire with a torch is
just no good, but I can heat a crimped copper sleeve and sweat solder the
wires.

The two best methods I have found are either a modified wireman (western
union) splice, or a copper tubing sleeve with solder. Either one appears to
work, and be stronger than the wire.

Right now I'm looking for commercial heavy wall crimp connection butt
splices that allow two #16 wires to fit side-by-side. The problem is finding
one long enough to get a good friction connection. I'd really like to just
crimp, and not solder at all.

Perhaps someone knows of reliable wire crimps that are pennies, not
dollars... :-)

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK