Re: Topband: Choke Construction Info Needed

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Choke Construction Info Needed
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:35:45 -0600
My mistake.

Now then, for lighting we don't really want much inductance between the
antenna and ground.

For a 100 kA strike rising in 2 us 1 MV is developed across 20 uH.

Instead we want a sturdy spark gap of 1/32 inch connected directly from the
feedpoint to the ground system.

WX7G
On Jul 26, 2012 4:23 PM, "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com> wrote:

> 30 watts is correct for 1500 watts in a 50 ohm system and a coil Q of 226.
>>
>> The power loss is 0.1 dB and the coil temp rise is around 20 deg C.
>>

> No, it isn't.
>
> 1500 watts is 273 volts into 50 ohms.
>
> If Q is 226, and reactance 226 ohms, Rp is 51,077 ohms. 273 volts is 1.46
> watts heat.
>
> To get 30 watts of heat with 226 ohms reactance, Q would have down near
> unity. No one makes a coil that bad.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK