Re: Topband: RX 4 SQ Phasing

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RX 4 SQ Phasing
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:43:45 -0400
> ** That doesnt make sense since the books, etc claim virtually no
> directivity at a 1/4 wave. At 175 KHz a 1/4 wave is 1406'.

I don't know what "books, etc" that comes from, but even over fairly good
soil a 600-foot "Beverage" models to have about 18 dB side null and a few dB
F/B at 175 kHz. It isn't in "Beverage mode", but it is in a mode that offers
directivity.

They work that way, too.

Certainly they are not good antennas in comparison to something full size,
and are not acting as a Beverage, but they do have pronounced directivity at
lower wave angles.

This is why people should never give up, and should experiment with the best
they can do. Even if it doesn't work close to right, it can make people
happy.

73 Tom

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK