Re: Topband: DX Engineering Preselector

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Engineering Preselector
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:46:18 -0400
>I just put in the above as it is the best one out there... However, when
> I put in the Array Solutions RF Limiter/Arrestor between the preselector
> and the K3 I get distortion in the signals. Any comments out there?
>
> The RX antenna is a Hi-Z 8-Circle array.

Antennas have a vector sum of all the accumulated signals arriving at any
one time. Peak voltages can be very high. For example I can light the
filament of a 12V incandescent 50 mA lamp to a red or yellow color with my
Beverages at night, after the amplifiers.

The Hi-Z amplifiers, if they are older units, have an output TOI of about 10
dBm.

The DXE amplifier has an output TOI of about 45 dBm.

You added a limiter that is advertised to "hard" saturate at -.5 dBm into 50
ohms, or -2.2 dBm into 75 ohms. (It is spec'ed at .3 volts peak, which is
.212 volts RMS.)

This means your system probably has a TOI of about 0 dBm or less. A limiter
like that would make any receiver have Knight Kit Star Roamer dynamic range.
:-)

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK