Re: Topband: DX Engineering Preselector

To: ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com>, topband@contesting.com, Richard Jaeger <k4iqj@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Engineering Preselector
From: John Harden <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:47:46 -0400
Carl,

I bought the DX Engineering device because it has the best third order
intercept. Just see W8JI's web site. Tom has a chart that compares TOI's
for various devices. I trust his meaurements because they are based on
facts and knowledge of the RF arena. They are not opinions and
assertions as one hears often on the reflector...

When comparing receivers it tells us how well devices separate two
closely placed signals. As you know it is a calculated value based on the
plot of Output power in dBm vs. Input power in dBm. It cannot be
measured like selectivity.

The IP3 really tells us how well two signals 3-5 kHz apart can be
copied. Tom's values are good enough for me.

This device replaces an ICE 160 only receive preamplifier.

73,

John, W4NU
K4JAG (1959 to 1998)