Re: Topband: electrical wavelength

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: electrical wavelength
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:08:20 -0700
On 9/11/2012 1:28 AM, Tom W8JI wrote:
but the numbers are so small at HF for normal good cables they are meaningless.

Not quite. Some measured Vf numbers for Commscope 3227 (#10 solid copper center, dimensions and shield like LMR400) are:0.8 at 194.5 kHz, 0.816 at about 900 kHz, 0.829 at 1.8 MHz, 0.836 at 4 MHz, 0.841 at 10 MHz, 0.845 at 53 MHz where I stopped measuring, and Vf was STILL increasing with frequency, although not by much. I'm reading those numbers from the graph I plotted of the data, which is part of http://audiosystemsgroup.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf

The MEASURED difference in Vf between 1.8 MHz and 53 MHz was 1.93%, which equates to an error of 3.5 electrical degrees for a 180 degree stub. The numerical error that Tom pointed out is more than twice as large -- about 5%, or 9 electrical degrees. The difference between 160M and 80M corresponds to a 30 kHz error in a quarter wave stub cut for 160M. This sort of error DOES matter if you're trimming a quarter-wave or half-wave stub to reject harmonics or sub-harmonics of your operating frequency in a contest station -- the bottom 70 kHz of 40M is only a 1% change in frequency, but if you've built your stubs from beefy coax, they're narrow enough that the deepest part of their null misses the intended target! More measured data for real stubs in that pdf.

None of these errors is very large, but if you spend some time modeling real antennas in software like SimSmith, you will see that the length of a 75 ohm line can do some very NICE things to broadband and/or improve the match of an antenna if it is the "right" length, or degrade the match if it is even a bit different.

BTW -- SimSmith is FREE modeling software written by AE6TY that runs in Java.

http://www.ae6ty.com/Smith_Charts.html

You need to feed it impedance data, either from an NEC design, or Vector Impedance measurements of a real antenna. It is VERY well written, VERY user friendly, quite powerful, and as near as I can tell, seems to be giving good answers.

How good are the answers? Starting with measured data using the DG8SAQ VNWA, over the past few months, I've done a major rework of my antenna matching system, replacing a collection of antenna tuners with stubs and matching sections, all switched with Top Ten relay boxes. My antenna farm includes fan dipoles for 80 and 40, three phased verticals for 160M, a 40M wire Yagi, a 40M dipole, monoband Yagis for 20, 15, and 10M, and a SteppIR. All of those antennas are now matched to 1.5:1 or better over the contesting segments of all bands. All using SimSmith for design, and the results agreed with the designs.

73, Jim K9YC
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK