Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 21:55:28 +0000 (UTC)

I noticed that some of the DXpeditions are using vertical diipoles next to the
sea on at least some of the higher bands ( I am guessing 20 and up).  I stuffed
the data into EZNEC 5.0 and came up with some suprising results, hope I did it
correctly I am not an antenna guru . Now as Tom has just indicated modeling is
great but its only modeling it doesnt really tell what happens in the real
world/ground conditions etc.

Does anyone have any real world experience with these dipoles?  Do they work in
non beach environments such as near the mountians? Comments welcome... and I am
willing to take the comments off list if it suits you.

If this is not a fools folley I will put together what I find suprising and put
it on my web site for everyone to access but I dont to take the time to
document it if its a waste of time.

Jim

http://www.qsl.net/wa3mej/index.htm