Re: Topband: Response to W8JI's comments about using a K2AV foldedcounte

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Response to W8JI's comments about using a K2AV foldedcounterpoise at VK6VZ
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 11:33:29 -0400
FWIW, I have not heard or seen K2AV making unreasonable "claims" of performance.

Neither have I, nor have I ever inferred he did.

My point, which was addressed to Steve, was pretty basic stuff. I don't understand how it gets changed so much.

My point was, when we change **everything** in a system, including where the main vertical element is located in a very cluttered environment, and especially when we have a station that historically has reported over many years having a problem getting any vertical to work as well as a horizontal antenna, it is a very large leap to single out a ground system change as making a few days of operating performance feel good.

There isn't any reason to extrapolate things so simple and basic into something no one said.

I think it is appropriate and necessary to mention the following general facts:

1.) When multiple things are changed in a randomly cluttered environment, it is impossible to single out a single factor

2.) When a system or location has a history of being sensitive to antenna styles, it is probably not the most reliable performance evaluation site

3.) A few days or weeks of contacts don't mean much on any band, let alone 160. We all probably know this :-)

No one should be offended by anyone's efforts to keep technical discussions grounded in reality, and it certainly should not be changed to something that was never said or implied.

73 Tom
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK