Re: Topband: Response to W8JI's comments about using a K2AVfoldedcounter

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "Dan Edward Dba East edwards" <dan.n.edwards@sbcglobal.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Response to W8JI's comments about using a K2AVfoldedcounterpoise at VK6VZ
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:13:23 -0400

I wonder.....Is there is a simple way to compare the field strength of an FCP with my current NON dense and uniform ground system, and draw reasonably accurate conclusions about efficiency improvements >>>

Sure. You can probably determine ground wave changes in a vertically polarized radiator with a simple test, if you wanted to do the work. Since you wouldn't know the baseline performance all you really could say is if it is better or worse than what you had.

Which brings me back to my general statement that a large change isn't so much about how perfect new systems are, as how bad our old systems were. :-)

I can tell you from direct experience at my house that near field effects on 160 meters were noticeable at 300 feet, were barely noticeable at 600 feet, and were not measureable at 1500 feet. This was with an instrument that resolves 100th's of a dB, and is accurate in tenths over the signal level range. This is based on data acquired while attempting to null my transmitter out of receive antennas, (bottom of page at http://www.w8ji.com/antenna_coupling.htm) but would apply to pattern measurements.

This effect was with a large directional transmitting array, so it would be reasonable to expect a smaller array to require less distance. Based on measurements, 500 feet distance should be pretty safe.

It does not require absolute field intensity measurements if you only want to look at change. I primarily use two <$100 instruments here for playing. One is a Sierra 303B portable level meter, and the other less portable unit is an HP3586C.

I built small loop antennas for the 303B and calibrated them against a rental FSM.

I have also used fixed wire antennas that I installed out in the woods when I did not need an absolute level.

Having a portable selective level meter is worth it's weight in gold if you do antenna work. I use the HP3586C to look at signal levels here in the house. This lets me check gain and F/R of various antennas. It is far more accurate than spectrum analyzers and S meters. The HP will do averages, so it is great for testing transmitting antennas while listening to distant signals on them, like using W1AW to compare two transmitting antennas on skywave. I think I paid around $50 on eBay for it.

73 Tom

I'll have to agree about the HP-3586. I use mine as far as 750' back from the house since I already have 240V almost halfway back and then run a long extension cord.

It rides in a cart behind the lawn tractor after clearcutting a path to the stone wall.

Carl
KM1H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK