Re: Topband: Short radials?

To: lmlangenfeld tds.net <lmlangenfeld@tds.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Short radials?
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 15:59:26 +0000
In fact I had my ARRL Antenna book (a mid-90's edition) in front of me at the
dinner table last night and I think I saw the exact same table.

My feeling based on some less than quantitative tests is that a couple of
quarter wave radials, has been more effective on topband than 16 0.1 wave
radials for my station at my QTH.

Others here have have told us how to measure that quantitatively (and in fact I
may try on my antenna preparations in run-up to at least the October Mini-Stew,
to some of the things that W8JI has outlined. I'm learning a lot!!! And W8JI's
Gotham Vertical review is perhaps the most entertaining thing I've read!!!)

My property doesn't extend out far enough for me to really run a permanent
radial field out to a quarter wave, but I can sneak out in the dark of night
this winter and try it out for sure.

Tim N3QE