Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fishing beacons redux
From: "GeorgeWallner" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 08:41:05 -0400
G'Day Topbanders,

These beacons are not frequency agile. As Mike points out, they are on a schedule. The entire environment they are used in is pretty primitive. They certainly do not know morse code, the beacons are pre-programmed and the fishermen just turn them on or off (and recharge the batteries).

During my July survey trip to PY0S (for the PT0S DXpedition) I was on a small long-line fishing boat and I looked at both the beacons and the receivers. I will post some pictures on the PT0S.com website later. For now, you can see an example of a direction finding receiver at
http://www.taiyomusen.co.jp/pdf/TD-L2200.pdf

73,

George

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 19:45:54 -0500