Re: Topband: Ground conductivity, permittivity measurement

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground conductivity, permittivity measurement
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 15:39:38 -0400
To Rich's point, I created a buried field in 4NEC2 using the radial geometry wizard and a vertical wire radiator 40m tall, all wires being of #12. The radial field consists of 64, 0.5 wavelength radials, buried 0.1m deep in moderate soil conductivity of 3 mS/m. As a bit of a sanity check, the base impedance computes to 40.2-j18.9. Rich can keep me straight on my assumptions, but I believe they're valid.

http://72.52.250.47/images/160m.jpg

Using NEC version 4.2, surface wave field strength is calculated at 1km as a function of varying Z value from 0-500m with 1500W from the source at 1.8 MHz. Notice how the field strength at zero elevation does not produce a null as we typically see in far-field calculations over average soil. So, without knowing the surface wave component, it would appear the traditional far-field plots only tell half the story about low-angle radiation from base-fed monopoles.

My NEC input file is available to anyone who wants to see it. Before asking, please ensure your modeling program runs under NEC 4 and not NEC 2.

Paul, W9AC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Fry" <rfry@adams.net>