Re: Topband: W4OWJ - Jack Matthews- SK

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: W4OWJ - Jack Matthews- SK
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 14:00:38 -0400
Like others here, I was on a call list at one time though it was when
I lived in Lafayette Louisiana and it was from one of the members of
Acadiana DX association. I never met Jack nor did I get a call from
him but I remember how grateful I was to get a 3AM call to work a new
one. People like Jack are a treasured few and I would have liked to
know him.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> Greetings Topbanders,
>
> Like Jeff, I had the pleasure of participating in the 160 Meter Call List.
> Jack W4OWJ was always one of the first to give you a call along with Jim
> K1MEM (SK), Bill K1MM, Wal W8LRL, Dave KJ9I and many others.
>
> As recent as last year, a phone call, not a spot made it possible for me to
> put BU2AQ in my log for my last Topband zone.  Jon, AA1K gave me a ring to
> give me the heads up.  So, even with all the reverse beacons, spotting etc,
> don't discount a person listening and reaching out to you via the phone to
> give you an opportunity for a new one!
> RIP Jack, your gentle demeanor and great operating skills will always be
> remembered.  73, Bob K3UL

Remember the PreStew coming on October 20th.  http://www.kkn.net/stew for more
info.