Re: Topband: W4OWJ - Jack Matthews- SK

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: W4OWJ - Jack Matthews- SK
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 20:40:07 -0400
Link to his obituary: http://www.tributes.com/show/94530342?active_tab=obituary

Jack's efforts on the Topband need list -- on paper and sent via snail mail -- helped me and others work many new ones on the band in the '80s and '90s. The telephone alerts were a valuable tool and we had many late-night chats on the band about the latest DX news. I had the pleasure of Jack visiting with us at our previous QTH near Wilmington in the mid-90s when he was up from Florida.

At age 93, Jack queried a QRZ.com forum about the minimum number of radials for his 42-foot vertical. He had laid down 3 that were 133-feet long at that point but was having trouble bending over.

Jack had Topband DXCC no. 60.

Rest in peace Jack.

73/Jon AA1K

.