Re: Topband: Best angle of radiation ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Best angle of radiation ?
From: Lloyd Berg N9LB <lloydberg@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:23:41 -0400 (EDT)
I was involved in broadcast engineering for many years ( probably one of the reasons for my interest in 160m and AM ).

There were numerous technical write ups about stations who wanted the maximum theoretical ground wave signal and spent big bucks to put up 5/8 wave verticals. They were always disappointed in the unexpectedly reduced coverage area that resulted.

Most of the reasoning for this unexpected negative result was attributed to the minor high-angle lobe produced by the 5/8 wave coming back down and interfering with the main lower angle signal. As a result, those station who had experimented with 5/8 wave towers usually reduced them to 1/2 wave or less.

73

Lloyd - N9LB