Re: Topband: Best angle of radiation ?

To: "Lloyd Berg N9LB" <lloydberg@charter.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Best angle of radiation ?
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:39:14 -0400
There were numerous technical write ups about stations who wanted the maximum theoretical ground wave signal and spent big bucks to put up 5/8 wave verticals. They were always disappointed in the unexpectedly reduced coverage area that resulted.

Most of the reasoning for this unexpected negative result was attributed to the minor high-angle lobe produced by the 5/8 wave coming back down and interfering with the main lower angle signal. As a result, those station who had experimented with 5/8 wave towers usually reduced them to 1/2 wave or less.

Somewhere in my textbooks or papers, I have a few places where verticals around .55 wavelength are called "non-fading verticals" for that reason.

This shows how low the effective ionosphere height is and how long the groundwave is, where the high angle lobe arrives within range of the groundwave.