Re: Topband: Band open, no one home

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Band open, no one home
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 16:01:52 -0400
So here it is in the middle of Sandy and I'm 300' from the water's
edge and thought I'd check to see if I had any antennas left. I had a
horrific series of SWR readings regardless of band. It was around
10PM, the height of the high tide & storm here in costal CT. I had to
see what was up & got to the stone wall bordering the salt marsh &
with the spelunker's light saw the problem, The relay end of my
Ameritron RCS-8V Remote Coax Switch was 5' under salt water. I later
retrieved it and hosed it out & rinsed with alcohol, it seems to be
OK today. Not so sure about the long-term condition of the coax to
the radial plate/& 5 different antennae hooked up to it. Amazingly
all of my antennae are wire shot over the tree tops and I didn't lose
any of them.

There's advantages & disadvantages to have your radials on a salt
marsh, disadvantages especially during a hurricane.

Gary
KA1J