Topband: Tuning 160M Dipole

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Tuning 160M Dipole
From: paul ecker <eckerpw@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 19:01:09 -0700 (PDT)
Last week I posted:
 I put up a 160m dipole but now need to tune it. SWR at low end of band is abt
3 and at top end abt 5. From what I have read this means I need to shorten it.
My question is how much should I take off? A foot off each end?? Any good links
to sites that may explain this in some detail so I can learn?

So in response to a number of questions I got, I remeasured the SWR to find the
minimum SWR

- SWR checked at base of vertical coax run to 1:1 Balun, using a MFJ
259 analyzer:

- Freq- mhzSWRImpedance (X)
- 1.776.2130
- 1.84.3106
- 1.8453.374
- 1.863.773
- 1.894.877
- 1.916.083
- 1.94        8.189
So minimum SWR at

- 1.845             3.374
 The dipole antenna length - each leg was cut to 126' and it is 30 ft above
sandy ground

As I may have said previously, I am weak on antenna theory but anxious to
learn. Any advice or direction welcome.

73 Paul kc2nyu