Re: Topband: Tuning 160M Dipole

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Tuning 160M Dipole
From: Terry Conboy <terry.conboy@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 18:56:37 -0800
Paul,

At least in the copy of your message I received, it was a bit hard to determine where the frequency ended and the SWR began. As I understand, the SWR was

1.77 MHz   6.21
1.80 MHz   4.31
1.845 MHz  3.37
1.86 MHz  3.77
1.89 MHz  4.88
1.91 MHz  6.08
1.94 MHz  8.19

Since your antenna is tuned for minimum SWR around 1.845 MHz, if you wanted the lowest SWR at 1.83 (for example), you'd need to increase the length by the ratio 1.845/1.83 = 1.0082 which is +0.82% or +1.03 feet for each leg of your 2 x 126 foot dipole.

However, the real issue is why your SWR is so high at resonance. I modeled a 252 dipole at 30 feet over "Sandy, Dry" soil in EZNEC. You didn't specify what wire you used for your dipole, so I assumed #14 wire with 0.05" thick PVC insulation (Er=3.5) and it shows resonance at 1.818 MHz, which is just a little lower than yours. However, the impedance from my model is 49.5 ohms at resonance, so the match is darn good with SWR =1.01. It rises to 1.46 at 1.8 MHz and 6.82 at 1.94 MHz, which is to be expected.

So it's hard to understand why your minimum SWR is so high. You mentioned a 1:1 balun --- was it mounted directly at the center feedpoint of the dipole? Is the balun specified for use on 160m? Some general purpose baluns are only good down to 80m (if that) and may not function too well on 160m. Is it a "current" a.k.a. "choke" type balun? So-called "voltage" baluns may not work well if the antenna itself isn't well balanced (due to some slope of the wire, proximity to something conductive at one end, etc.). In this case, oddly enough, a "voltage" balun may be allowing (or forcing) current to flow on the coax shield, although it would be somewhat unusual for this to cause the degree of mismatch you measure. Since Murphy never sleeps, are you absolutely, positively sure it isn't a 4:1 balun? You can check it with your MFJ-259 with a 50 ohm resistor across the balun terminals in place of the antenna.

And of course, as you may have read in other Topband threads, MFJ-259's (and other self contained analyzers) are exquisitely sensitive to RF pickup, typically from AM broadcast transmitters. They give odd readings that can vary from day to night, as stations change power and patterns. I'd suggest using a conventional SWR meter at your transceiver with it running at least 5-10 watts to rule out interference problems with the MFJ-259.

Let us know what you find.

73, Terry N6RY