Re: Topband: TX/ RX Antenna Switching

To: "Buck wh7dx" <wh7dx@hawaii.rr.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TX/ RX Antenna Switching
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 07:43:43 -0500
Forgot the link to Array Solutions

RF Limiter / Front Load Protector (Helps to know what they call these items so you can search for them :-) i.e.. "Front End Protector".

http://arraysolutions.com/Products/as_rxfep.htm

That's a terrible protection system. It would deteriorate almost any receiver, unless you are using a super regenerative.

Back-to-back diodes by themselves are a poor enough system. They generate significant intermod with a sum of all signals at .5 volts RMS, which is a sum of signal power (from all signals) of only 7 dBm at 50 ohms or 5.2 dBm into 75 ohms. Back-to-back diodes even deteriorate performance below that threshold with most small fast signal diodes, some fast small signal diodes start to create unwanted mixing products at 0 dBm or less.

Back-to-back diodes driven by minicircuits type transformers would be worse yet. I can't use minicircuits transformers on my Beverages here, because of IMD.

A properly designed clamp would have no effect up to about 20-23 dBm, where it would clamp hard, and would not include easily-saturated very small core transformers.

Be careful with anything that uses back-to-back diodes.

73 Tom