Re: Topband: TX/ RX Antenna Switching

To: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TX/ RX Antenna Switching
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:43:40 -0500
On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 23:46 +0000, Shoppa, Tim wrote:
> Getting away from what we are discussing now (limiters) and back to the
> original question... it really is just a few bucks for a relay for a rig
> (without separate T and R jacks) at the 100W level, to add separate T and R
> based on the amp key line.
>
> It's ironic that for most of half a century, the ARRL handbook showed designs
> for T/R switches, and now those with entry level radios have to build the
> opposite of the T/R switch to have seperate T/R antennas :-).
>
> Tim N3QE

I had assumed, based on discussion, that full break-in QSK must be a
requirement per the original post (which I have missed). Apparently it's
not. When I switch from transmit to receive I throw ONE switch - not my
key or paddles. One. No RF is generated until I do hit the key but only
after the switch has been thrown. When I do that I hear several relays
click in unison. It's so simple that even *I* can do it. Transmitters,
receivers, and transceivers have a terminal on them somewhere to take
care of the needed functions within to go from TX mode to RX mode and
the other way 'round. Wire your relay(s) to switch the antenna(s) and
tickle those T/R terminals. Take advantage. If your rig doesn't have
such a terminal (you paid how much for it?) add one.

As Tim says, a T/R relay is just too easy. Buy one with 100 NO and 100
NC contacts and have fun (evil grin). Or maybe more relays with fewer
contacts. If more clues are needed I can talk more about how mine are
wired now and how they have been wired in the past - best done off-list.

If it turns out that full break in QSK *is* a requirement..get out the
drills, hack saws, chisels, axes, and solder iron and get to work. Or
get out the wallet and get a set of radios that will do what you want
right out of the box.

73,

Bill  KU8H