Re: Topband: Vertical Array Over Uneven Ground

To: "N1BUG" <paul@n1bug.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical Array Over Uneven Ground
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 21:13:42 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "N1BUG" <paul@n1bug.com>
To: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Cc: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:58 PM

I suspect most Americans are more comfortable with our own measuring system
plus our ham bands where antenna formulas are still published in feet and
inches.

I suspect most (or at least many) Americans are resistant to change and unwilling to give anything different than what they are used to a fair try before dismissing it.

When I don't have to deal too extensively with materials made to specific sizes for the U.S. market, I do much of my measuring and work using the metric system. Why? Because once I got used to it, I find it much easier to work with. My notes on projects going back over 20 years usually give dimensions in metric (eg. plate line dimensions for a VHF amplifier in millimeters). I have grown somewhat weary of converting to another system just so that other Americans won't grumble about my choice of units. I may stop that practice. If other Americans don't understand the measurements and can't be bothered to do the conversion, they probably don't really want/need the information.

Paul

I guess you never heard "When in Rome, etc." If those from other countries want to partake on Topband my feeling is they can do the conversion on their end or they dont really want the information. When I join a European forum or look for info on one of their websites it is I who then do the conversion.....without complaining. I can work well in metric, I just choose not to when I dont have to.

I have no problem using thousandths, or any decimal version, of an inch for any VHF to microwave application, (or all automotive engine and driveline building) my Starrett and other Made In The USA precision measuring instruments work fine, thank you.

Carl
KM1H