Re: Topband: how high are very high voltages on antennas?

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: how high are very high voltages on antennas?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 09:13:22 -0800
Thanks for the insight.  I will try the EZNEC suggestion.

"stub" was a bad choice of words, I've got two approaches in contemplation/analysis mode, both wire loading schemes:

1. Four relay switched vertical wires at the center bottom voltage node. The antenna has about a 25 KHz 2:1 bandwidth so a "binary" ladder of 4 wires can cover the whole band if the natural loop is resonant at about 2Mhz. Of course, the wires are not 8:4:2:1 in ratio, so I've been trying a lot of length combinations to get full, no gap coverage and have a compromise set that "works". I've also got a continuous tuning controller scoped out to sequence the relays.

2. a metal spool and contact system to feed out hi-flex Cu bare wire and dacron pull up line on a plastic spool on small (screwdriver) motor with rotation count output (both spools on a single delrin shaft). Wire out one side, line in the other to a pulley hung from the apex that lowers with the antenna. An MFJ screwdriver controller provides 10 preset turns counts, established at 20KHz steps by manually measuring swr. I use the MFJ controller on my Tornado variable inductor tuned 80m rotatable dipole (rebuilt EF-180C) for full band coverage and it has been solid.

Option #2 is gaining on #1 in my mind. I could buy a SteppIR 40m sized vertical to do the variable loading, but that is a bit pricey!

Anything like this by other topbanders?

My tree climber peaked out at 87' for the apex pulley support. It seems to me that the vertically polarized delta loop is the best single support choice for 160m < 30 degree gain with a little directivity, and a no extensive radial system. Comments?

Happy Turkey Day!

Grant KZ1W