Re: Topband: ZL9HR

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ZL9HR
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:32:16 -0800
Steve, et al:

I also found this blurb on K3EL's blog:

http://k3el.wordpress.com/

"One of the conditions of our landing permit is that we are off-island during the hours of darkness – we will return to the boat at night. So, don’t expect to hear us on the air between approx. 1000-1500 UTC. Exceptions may be made if, for example, bad weather makes a safe return to the boat impossible – so if you do hear ZL9HR on at night, don’t assume it’s a pirate, we’re probably just stranded due to wx and happily taking advantage of the low band propagation."

By chance I have a copy of the 9V1YC produced ZL9CI video which I had never bothered to watch (I was saving it in case I ever needed it for a radio club meeting program). I just watched the video and they mention that they were restricted from being on the island from local midnight to 5:30 AM local which is roughly consistent with the 1000-1500 UTC restriction mentioned above (ZL9CI took place in January which may explain some of the difference). For the ZL9CI expedition, the zodiak trip from the boat to the docking site took just a few minutes and the meteorological station buildings were only a short walk from the zodiac docking site. These restrictions should allow for ~ 80 minutes of operating time from local sunset until mandatory departure. On the ZL9 sunrise side folks in central California will have a brief shot during mutual "twilight" (wouldn't you know that Los Angeles misses mutual darkness by a few minutes :-( ).