Re: Topband: Inverted L SWR Jumps ???

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L SWR Jumps ???
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:40:02 -0800
On 11/27/2012 10:45 PM, Tim Duffy K3LR wrote:
There is significant coupling between 160 meter antennas that are separated by
as much as 500 feet

YES!

and this coupling could be problem for your set up.

But it can also be a good thing if you know what you have and how to take advantage of it. I have three resonant verticals for 160M, as well as a tower that is resonant on 160M. Studying them in NEC early this summer, I've learned how I can drive each of them, one at a time, and use the others as passive reflectors to get 4-5 dB of gain in several directions. The patterns that NEC predicts are clearly observable on the air.

It doesn't take much to couple and change an antenna's pattern. I first saw this when I had hung a new dipole near an 80M vertical, and that feedline coupled to the vertical. I choked the feedline and the coupling went away. N6LF published something quite useful on this topic several years ago showing that even a fairly short tower that is well below resonance, even loaded with aluminum on top, can significantly affect a pattern. I have one such tower that NEC predicts will resonate around 2.3 MHz, and a bump of a few dB. Taming that (probably by detuning it) is something else I need to work on. N6LF's piece is on his website.

73, Jim K9YC