Re: Topband: ARRL 160 contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160 contest
From: Jim Bennett <w6jhb@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:27:09 -0800
Herb & All -

I'm here on the West Coast and have the same "issues" with this contest as many
other folks. I enter it not with ANY expectation of winning - well, OK, I'll
bet big dollars that I'm going to have high score for Folsom, CA! But rather to
try adding to my WAS totals for this band. I operated in the 2012 CW and Phone
Sweepstakes in an attempt to get more 80 meter states. Hitting New England from
California with <100 watts, CC&R / HOA crud, and a small city lot are a real
challenge. In fact, I heard not one single VT or DE station on any of the 80-10
meter bands. Finding guys in those states on 160 is a big challenge for a
peanut-whistle station!

As I said, I can't compete with the big guns back east, or on the west coast,
but the "contest" does provide some opportunities for me…

Just my 2-1/2 cents worth!

73, Jim / W6JHB
Folsom, CA