Re: Topband: DX Window

To: wrcromwell@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Window
From: mike l dormann <w7dra@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 13:45:04 -0800
i am authorized to comment on this since i have (and a photo of my shack
wall can be produced if requested) a real  honest sent by US postage
N0TT QSL card.......

after i get to the back of the yard i have to walk through the woods to
get to the ham shack. now why would anyone have his computer connected to
his key line? keys use the same type plugs as guitars and head phones
don't they?  mine does.

mike w7dra

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 16:20:55 -0500 Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
writes:
> On Fri, 2012-12-07 at 17:48 +0000, Missouri Guy wrote:
> > > With electronic log submission easy to enforce, just invalidate
> any
> > > QSOs by W/VE run stations in the window.
> >
> > That's not practical to enforce via logs because some participants
>
> > may be using radios that have no connection to the computer other
> than
> > the
> > key line.
> >
> > 73 Charlie, N0TT
>
> Hah!
>
> That "key line" is one more connection than my radio has to a
> computer.
> My computer is actually turned on while am on the air more than it
> was
> even last year. Sometimes I'm actually *using* the computer.
>
> A couple of years ago I updated my station to use just one
> mechanical
> switch that I throw to go from transmit to receive or back again.
> The
> switch and the morse key are arranged so I can T/R with my left hand
> and
> immediately start sending CW OR grab the pencil and write. Either
> direction takes a fraction of a second.
>
> Before that I used a T/R system published by R. Goldberg that
> involved a
> chicken running back and forth pecking appropriate buttons while
> plugging and unplugging patch cables. I had to install the present
> system after a fine chicken dinner one day.
>
> I know of some hams who do NOT even have a computer.
>
> 73,
>
> Bill  KU8H

> Topband reflector - topband@contesting.com

Woman is 57 But Looks 27