Re: Topband: DX Window

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Window
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 17:12:44 -0500
On Fri, 2012-12-07 at 13:45 -0800, mike l dormann wrote:
> i am authorized to comment on this since i have (and a photo of my shack
> wall can be produced if requested) a real  honest sent by US postage
> N0TT QSL card.......
>
> after i get to the back of the yard i have to walk through the woods to
> get to the ham shack. now why would anyone have his computer connected to
> his key line? keys use the same type plugs as guitars and head phones
> don't they?  mine does.
>
> mike w7dra

Hi Mike,

If we use a logging program it is capable of throwing the T/R switch and
then sending Morse. You have to wire stuff up so the puny little
computer port can handle your grid-block and things like that but it's
not too difficult. The big dogs who do the "runs" use it to help with
fatigue from sending CQ TEST over and over and over and over again. I
dunno what they do if we ask them for a fill. I suppose they have to
actually type something.

I think you do the search and pounce like I do instead of the hunt and
peck like they do. I'm getting old now but I can still handle the keying
for QSOs. I am getting ready to use the LOTW so I am using the computer
to do logging now. I probably don't need it sending sterile CW for me at
the same time.

BTW...I'm building a contest grade receiving system for 160 through 40
meters using a rack of ARC-5 receivers <wink>. I was going to use a RAL
for that like you do but so far - no RAL.

73,

Bill  KU8H