Re: Topband: DX Window-Redux

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Window-Redux
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 19:33:37 -0400
I learned long ago that after winning all bands single and multi and single band phone and CW with a world record on CQ WW (except 40 phone) that these "records" would all disappear in the following years as they all did. Because of the geographic point advantage to stations 300 miles south of me could easily get a higher score with less Q's and less multipliers. So I have come up with self competition like trying to work WAS on 160 in 10 hours and now I have done that in under 4 hours on 160. Or trying to do DXCC on 160 in one weekend. I think Jeff, VY2ZM does this with ease now. So these little self assigned goals are really exciting especially when you can make your quota. But getting in the top ten with a standard home station is getting more and more difficult with all the super stations all over the world.

Contesting is like a war to some but those who take it too seriously I offer this memorable line by General Patton as portrayed by George C. Scott in the movie.

For over a thousand years, Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of a triumph - a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeters and musicians and strange animals from the conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conqueror rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children, robed in white, stood with him in the chariot, or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror, holding a golden crown, and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting.

Such is contesting and "all glory is fleeting."

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ