Re: Topband: rx array proximity to barbed wire fence

To: "Joel Harrison" <w5zn@w5zn.org>, "Jeff Blaine" <jeff@ac0c.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: rx array proximity to barbed wire fence
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:39:03 -0500
While one might claim some theoretical
interaction I have not documented any or identified any performance
degradation as a result.

I see Big Gun Mike, W5UC, has a lot of experience with RX arrays close to
fences has responded as well.>>>>>

The rusty twisted-joint barbed wire fences by my RX antennas were a problem when I transmitted, but only when I tried to duplex. They were 2000 -3000 feet long and ran right past the TX antennas in a straight line, so I bet they had a whopping signal level. They generated noise like crazy while I transmitted.

I think the real problem is all fences and all installations are different.

If the fence has rusty joints and reradiates strong BC station mixing products, it will be an issue.

If the fence is near power lines and reradiates noise, it can be a problem.

If the fence reradiates propagated signals with significant intensity compared to over-the-air signals (pretty unlikely), it could be a problem.

It really depends more on the fence and local layout of things than anything else, so the only way to really know is to just try it.

73 Tom