Re: Topband: Fw: GAP VERTICAL QUESTION

To: "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "'Guy Olinger K2AV'" <olinger@bellsouth.net>, "'Ashton Lee'" <Ashton.R.Lee@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: GAP VERTICAL QUESTION
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:10:19 -0500
Well, Tom I operate from a small city lot, although I do have some tall
trees! I've done OK on 160 and 80 with a 160 inverted L and full size 80m GP
- both  with elevated resonant radials. (The 160 radials did meander a bit)
I've worked some really good DX on 160 - VK6, 3B8, JA and 3Y0 etc. - and
some deep Russians. Biggest problem for me, in the city was not being heard,
it was  HEARING! Once I put up a terminated loop "Kaz" antenna, with a
preamp for receiving. All that changed - a LOT! I believe that guys are
missing a good bet by not trying the elevated resonant radials under their
160 and 80m antennas -even if they have to meander a bit.

In my experience,the main challenge on 160 is HEARING!

Charlie, K4OTV