Re: Topband: Power Line Noise Direction Finding

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Power Line Noise Direction Finding
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 10:48:17 -0500 (EST)
Hi Don,

Very nice job, I've used similar methods to accurately track down power line
noise at W3LPL.  My power company is very responsive when I give them reliable
RFI location information.

I use a Yaesu FT-847 in my vehicle with a short vertical whip antenna to track
power line noise on the HF bands.  You don't need a large vertical antenna on
your vehicle because you're usually looking for strong signals.  The FT-847 is
particularly effective because it covers all ham bands from 1.8 to 450 MHz, and
it has an excellent S-meter and AM detector.  I've tried using my Elecraft K-3
but its S-meter and rather poor AM detector are serious impediments to success.

For locating individual poles I use a handheld Yaesu FT-817 and a six element
handheld 440 MHz Yagi.

73
Frank
W3LPL