Re: Topband: 160 vert puzzle

To: ww4b73@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 vert puzzle
From: jcjacobsen@q.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 12:15:50 -0500 (EST)
How do to all.
Glenn is chasing a 160 meter antenna puzzle, where the SWR on a vertical
supported by a 4x4 increases when he touches the top of the 4x4.

First off, the disclaimer: I AM NOT AN ANTENNA GURU!!!!!

With that said, Glenn, does the same thing happen when you bring your
finger/hand CLOSE to the 4x4 with out touching it??? I think what is happening
is your hand is coupling capacitively to the antenna. Moving your hand up and
down is changing where it is coupled to the vertical and because of a different
level of "voltage and current", the SWR will change. I noticed that also on my
temp low band/winter vertical that is insulated from and supported by a tripod.
Touch the tripod and the SWR goes up. Come close to the tripod, same thing. I'd
say, don't worry about it. Just use it.

73 es GDDX
K9WN Jake