Re: Topband: 160 vert puzzle

To: "jcjacobsen@q.com" <jcjacobsen@q.com>, "ww4b73@gmail.com" <ww4b73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 vert puzzle
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 15:56:44 +0000
Is this all being done with the portable "antenna analyzers"? Those can be
surprisingly susceptible to nearby BCB stations that are out of ham bands, but
detected by the analyzer and influencing the measured numbers/curves.

These little analyzers are completely useless at my QTH (100V Pk-Pk levels at
"high impedance" points. I can light a neon light bulb on modulation peaks of
the local 630 kHz BCB station.)

With it being influenced by hand capacitance at the bottom I would wonder if it
was FM band BCB pickup. At my location it's AM band BCB pickup and I would be
surprised if hand capacitance could do that. On my bench scope, I can see the
FM stations quite clearly changing level depending on hand capacitance.

Tim N3QE

Topband Reflector