Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: New 160M high performance receiving antenna at W3LPL
From: Eric NO3M <no3m@no3m.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 23:23:56 -0500
The method I have used is similar to what Tom details in some respects. The main RX is fixed in a prime direction, usually NE and later W. However, the sub-RX is typically on auto-scan between transmissions (controller detects PTT), hopping through antennas in a specific group, either beverage or 8-circle directions, with 700-800 ms pause per antenna. The custom controllers I use allow me to select what antennas I want included in a scan sequence by manually selecting the antenna and tapping a "scan-select" toggle button. It makes for a more efficient sweep of the compass, ie. usually skip N since most stations N of here are VE and heard just as well on some other antenna, sometimes other directions skipped based on time of night.

My controllers use an encoder for antenna selection, so it's like rotating a VFO knob. A slight turn will stop scanning, and makes going backwards easy if something was heard and scanning overshoots.

One of the more useful features I added was "tracking". When in tracking mode, the controller will force the opposite receiver to connect to an antenna in the same direction as the "tracked" receiver and continue to track direction as long as there is an available antenna in the same direction as the "tracked" RX selection. For my station, that means beverage array in one ear and 8-circle in the other. A good example would be hearing a weak QRP K9YC on the sub-RX while scanning through beverages. Scanning might overshoot to NW bev, slight manual knob rotation counterclockwise stops scanning and goes back to W bev, single tap the sub-RX tracking button to force main-RX selection to W direction on the 8-circle array. Now listening West in stereo diversity. Couple more taps and back to original antenna in one ear and back to scanning in the other.

73 - Eric NO3M