Re: Topband: Soliciting suggestions on our receive antennas for 5X8C

To: Dave <davek4sv@yahoo.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Soliciting suggestions on our receive antennas for 5X8C
From: Bert Barry <bertbarry@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 11:20:52 -0500
Dave,

Your difficulty may be the result of expecting vertical polarization to work well an low geomagnetic latitudes. In his " Big Gun's Guide to Low Band Propagation", the late Bob Brown, NM7M, described how the resonance effect of the proximity of 1.8 MHz to the gyrofrequencies of electrons in the ionosphere can increase absorbtion of top band signals at low geomagnetic latitudes. Conversely, at high magnetic latitudes the roles are reversed. The gigantic 160m horizontal yagi of OH8X was apparently a huge disappointment, probably for this reason.

You might want to try inverted L's or T's, as high as possible.

Bert,  VE3QAA