Re: Topband: Webinar - The first Top Band DX Contest â?" the 1921 Transa

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Webinar - The first Top Band DX Contest â?" the 1921 Transatlantic Test
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 12:23:51 -0500
Tha's a great topic and I'm sure Frank will add a lot of interesting information. About twenty years ago, I became interested in the 1921 transatlantic tests and slowly began collecting information. The fall, 1921 issues of QST are a great source as is the Radio Club of America's (RCA) early 1950s publication on 1BCG. That publication gives a detailed explanation of the antenna and is copied from an article by George Burghard from the February, 1922 issue of QST.

In 1951, the RCA dedicated a granite memorial to 1BCG. That marker can be clearly seen on Google maps.

41°4'15"N   73°37'23"W

Look for it near at corner of Clapboard Ridge Road and North Street in Greenwich, CT. Just to the west of the marker is a large section of land, previously owned by the Minton Cronkhite family - and now the location of St. Michael's rectory. The antenna was a caged T-top with elevated counterpoise and from detailed photos, it's clear that the "T" ran E/W along Clapboard Road at the spot where the rectory now stands. That must have been one interesting and busy intersection back in 1921! If the 1BCG antenna was operational today with 1KW, it would have one helluva' smoking signal.

Paul, W9AC
Topband Reflector