Re: Topband: Webinar - The first Top Band DX Contest â?" the 1921 Transa

To: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Webinar - The first Top Band DX Contest â?" the 1921 Transatlantic Test
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:25:11 -0500
On 2013-02-24, at 8:18 AM, James Rodenkirch wrote:

>> Tha's a great topic and I'm sure Frank will add a lot of interesting
>> information.  About twenty years ago, I became interested in the 1921
>> transatlantic tests and slowly began collecting information.  The fall, 1921
>> issues of QST are a great source as is the Radio Club of America's (RCA)
>> early 1950s  publication on 1BCG.  That publication gives a detailed
>> explanation of the antenna and is copied from an article by George Burghard
>> from the February, 1922 issue of QST.

Hi Guys,

There was once a rather extensive collection of QSTs from the 1920's that
originally belonged to the original 3XN, whose "new" home was the reference
section at the University of Western Ontario's (London, Ontario) main library
for years & years...

When the staff "de-commissioned" the magazines some years ago, as an alumni of
the school I was fortunate enough to have been the very happy recipient of each
& very issue: amazingly, select copies from the early 20's---when the League
was sponsoring its Transatlantics---have pencilled-in notes from OM Langford's
hand itself in the margins, listing the call signs of the stations that he
heard on this side of the Atlantic at the time of the tests!

They are true gems, and I value each & every issue here immensely...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Topband Reflector