Re: Topband: How does KP4KE do it with 20 watts?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: How does KP4KE do it with 20 watts?
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 22:47:05 -0800
He claims he is using a "4 element vertical beam" to Europe. An optimized 4 EL array combined with proximity to saltwater might explain it, but that still seems like a big stretch. I remember sending an email to Ed @ D4B remarking on how loud he was here in W6 during one contest where he was active. He wrote back saying that his amplifier had died and that he was running low power during the entire contest. I couldn't believe it. Still going from 1500 Watts to 20 Watts is an 18.8dB deficit. That's a lot of dBs to overcome with antenna and QTH. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. Seems like he should step up and provide a detailed description of his antenna system and QTH. Barring that, one is really left to wonder.

BTW, here is what K2KW was able to do with a single vertical on the beach with 5W during CQ WW CW 2003:

http://www.k2kw.com/6y0aqrp/

20W would be 6dB louder. Add gain from a 4 element array and good conditions then it might be possible to explain it given the great advantage of CW over SSB on topband. Of course K2KW made no secret of his antenna system and QTH. Same thing with D4B.