Re: Topband: Elevated Radials EPILOGUE

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials EPILOGUE
From: The Bucks <bbuck@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 09:01:25 -1000
I'd like to read whatever information (real results) you guys have on this.
My email is my call sign with  @hawaii.rr.com

Thank you Milt for your info.   Nice setup!    If I understood it correctly -
the buried and elevated were comparable.

I've read most of the well known books on this and it's not conclusive.. after
all these years - I would expect it be more certain.

I don't think the data is getting out there perhaps or I haven't seen it.    A
study done working with low band grounding etc...

Things like

1) If you have the space and work hours and money isn't an issue - go with 120
1/4 wave buried radials.

2) Good soil doesn't require as many radials..   someone was commenting on the
AM towers be reconditioned - using elevated radials.

3) Elevated radials work better with poor ground conditions.   Higher with
lower bands.. 15-25ft on 160m..

4) You don't need as many elevated radials as ground radial..  (debate about 4
to 12 or so?)   I'd say 12 but would like to see a study.   Some say 2 or 4?

Once you have the control antenna it's easy to start comparing real world
results.    How's 12 radials sound?    Cut 4 off..   how's 8 sounds.     The
K.I.S.S.  approach.

I don't think it would be very hard to disconnect some radials and say - "how's
the signal now?"...  two guys with a walkie talkie making doing some tests
cutting some wires etc...

During the 160M SSB there was a guy in CA who was 59 the whole time into
Hawaii.   I called him back on the last day and asked what he was using..  I
forgot what he said, but he switched his antennas and he went from a solid S9
to S5.   He said that sounds about right.    That was a huge difference.

I was using a 160m dipole up about 30ft at the center and 10 feet on the ends.
I'm sure that wouldn't model very well but I was 56 to him.   I do need to
model in my sloping terrain to ocean etc..

That poorly modeled dipole that would be shooting up 90 degrees or something
can go 5000+ miles.

That's what I'm talking about.    Why bother with a ton of wires and work
unless you can see a real world difference.     I'm putting in an inverted L
with the FCP ground to see how that compares to my low dipole (radials are hard
for me)

My results will be based on - "Jack (W2XX), let me switch my antenna and tell
me how you copy me."    If it's not a noticeable difference I might want use
that extra coax connection for something else later.

$.02

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is
proprietary to Mr. & Mrs. B and is intended for use only by the individual or
entity to which it is addressed, or where ever the hell it ends up, and will
almost certainly contain information that will offend a large portion of the
population, which isn't our concern. If you are not the intended lucky
recipient, or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without the
proper authority of the Wizard of Email or Al Gore, you are notified that any
thought, use, or consumption of this email is entirely your choice. In such
case, Bon Appetit....    Note:  A $.02 Internet Tax was charged for receiving
this email and all funds were given to some family somewhere in America or the
U.N....  Have a nice day.

Topband Reflector