Re: Topband: Elevated Radials EPILOGUE

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Elevated Radials EPILOGUE
From: Buck wh7dx <wh7dx@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 19:44:32 -1000
Now in the most recent 22nd Edition of the ARRL Antenna Book...

3-14 - It goes on to say that a few elevated radials should perform as well as
a large number of ground radials....

And that the signal will improve quickly with just a little elevation...
Interesting graph - Figure 3.27  - you need to get to about 30 ground radials
to equal 4 elevated.

The elevated needed to be symmetric...

It goes on from there.

I suspect the fairly recent (??) information on the advantages of elevated has
let to at least one military study and a ton of other information on the
internet... talk about reconditioned AM stations with elevated radial?

Buried is safer - but it requires a lot more work and money.   But if you can
use 8 (???) elevated radials versus 60 buried on 160M we're talking a mile
difference in wire.

Don't get me wrong, I'm new to this and by no means knowledgeable in the field
- but I can say that after reading these two very well know books.. and a ton
of stuff on the Internet - which is my specialty.. It's a little confusing..

It's time for Myth Busters Ham Radio.   It should be fairly simple I would
think..  Poor ground - (X) number of elevated at a specified wave length height
- symmetrically laid out...   Decent ground - (X) ground or (X) elevated at
this wave length height.. etc....

That should do it for me.

If anyone has more "real life" info on this..   email me at my call sign +
@hawaii.rr.com

73

Bryan
WH7DX

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is
proprietary to Mr. & Mrs. B and is intended for use only by the individual or
entity to which it is addressed, or where ever the hell it ends up, and will
almost certainly contain information that will offend a large portion of the
population, which isn't our concern. If you are not the intended lucky
recipient, or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without the
proper authority of the Wizard of Email or Al Gore, you are notified that any
thought, use, or consumption of this email is entirely your choice. In such
case, Bon Appetit....    Note:  A $.02 Internet Tax was charged for receiving
this email and all funds were given to some family somewhere in America or the
U.N....  Have a nice day.

Topband Reflector